Title and statement of responsibility area
Seaspan International Fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA MMBC 985.086.0001-0022, 986.039-986.040, 988.284.0001-0010
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
14 blueprints. -- 50 photographs. -- 7 v. -- 18.5 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Seaspan International Limited (1971 -)
Vancouver-based towboat operator created through merger of Island Tug and Barge and Vancouver Tugboat Company. The company has since absorbed other smaller towboat companies. It is a part of the Seaspan Corporation.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of
- Ship plans, correspondence, Lloyd’s register of shipping load, shipping, and surveyor’s certificates related to Island Tug & Barge vessels M/V Comet, M/V Island Forester and M/V Island Cedar, as well as a cost of building report and assorted certificates for SS Conchita.
- Correspondence, reports, and certificates related to William Beardmore & Company Limited, Victoria Machinery Depot Company Limited, Yarrows Limited, and the Department of Marine and Fisheries dating from 1922 to 1956 and 1979,
- Certificates for ship’s lanterns from the Netherlands Meteorological institute, in Dutch, dated 1924, and certificates of tonnage from the United States of Venezuela.
- Time sheets dating from August 1947 to December 1956,
- Motor Princess valve cage charts dated 1946 to 1948 (have been ripped in half and taped back together)
- Blank envelopes and forms from Island Tug & Barge,
- Booklet of engineering tables and plans titled "I.T.-4.",
- 1962 marine digest,
- Salvage agreement,
- Loading specifications for log barges.
- Quotation work sheets in alphabetical order which had been stored in a card catalogue style. Consists only of work sheets from 'A' to 'Mc',
- 10 miscellaneous blueprints.
- Fonds consists of documents, photographs, and blueprints relating to Seaspan engineering , TSS Conchita, and TSS Carlota. The documents include 3 copies of the stability investigation report from the Capsizing of Seaspan 921, two copies of a technical investigation and analysis report on the probable causes of capsize on 19 July 1974 of Seaspan 921, and statistical stability calculations from the capsizing,
- loading scale sheets, calibration scales, transcript of register, load line certificate, and general correspondence dating from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Seaspan International Limited in several installments from 1985 to 1988.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
All requests for use must be made through the MMBC Research Request program (http://mmbc.bc.ca/collections/library-and-archives/research/). Please note that fees may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Seaspan International Limited (Creator)
- Island Tug & Barge Limited (Subject)
- M/V Comet (ship) (Subject)
- M/V Island Forester (ship) (Subject)
- M/V Island Cedar (ship) (Subject)
- SS Conchita (ship) (Subject)
- Yarrows Shipbuilding Limited (Subject)
- Victoria Machinery Depot Company Limited (Subject)
- Netherlands Meteorological Institute (Subject)
- SS Carlota (ship) (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
RAD, July 2008 version. Canadian Council of Archives.
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
6 March 2018