Fonds L242-L243, L304-L306, L487, L781, P821, L1220, L1259, L1298, L1697-L1698, L1700-L1701, L2406-L2407, L2475, L3097, L3541, 979.097.0001, 982.027.0001-0002, 983.018.0001-0002, 984.009.0001, 984.030.0001-0002, 984.035.0001-0008, 992.028.0002 - Orphan HMCS Naden Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Orphan HMCS Naden Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA MMBC L242-L243, L304-L306, L487, L781, P821, L1220, L1259, L1298, L1697-L1698, L1700-L1701, L2406-L2407, L2475, L3097, L3541, 979.097.0001, 982.027.0001-0002, 983.018.0001-0002, 984.009.0001, 984.030.0001-0002, 984.035.0001-0008, 992.028.0002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1857-1881; 1903-1926; 1950-1971 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

26 v. -- 4.25 cm of textual and photographic records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

HMCS Naden (establishment) (1922 - 1966)

Administrative history

The naval shore facility at Esquimalt was commissioned as HMCS Naden on 3 September 1922. It was named for the facility’s Depot Ship, HMCS Naden, a small wooden schooner built in 1913 that previously had been used for coastal surveys and cadet training. During WWII, Naden became the primary naval training centre for Western Canada. When CFB Esquimalt came into being on 1 April 1966, HMCS Naden became part of the base.

Prior to the unification of the Canadian Forces, shore establishments of the Royal Canadian Navy were designated as “ships”. HMCS Naden comprised the naval barracks and training schools located on the north side of Esquimalt harbour. The Department of National Defence area on the south side of the harbour was described as HMC Dockyard. After WWII, all naval personnel in Esquimalt, other than naval reservists belonging to HMCS Malahat, were administered by HMCS Naden. In the early years of the Royal Canadian Navy, shore-based naval personnel were borne on the books of an actual ship; initially HMCS Rainbow, and later HMCS Naden, a schooner which was a tender to the Royal Naval College located in the Dockyard after 1918. In 1922 administration of personnel was moved ashore to the embryo base on the north shore of the harbour and the name HMCS Naden came ashore as well. During WWII, the dockyard was administered as HMCS Givenchy. The Commanding Officer Pacific Coast moved to Vancouver in 1942 to operate out of a joint headquarters with the senior army and air force officers in British Columbia. HMCS Burrard administered naval personnel on the lower mainland and formally flew the Admiral’s flag. HMCS Naden became Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt in 1966.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of assorted books, documents, and photographs received from HMCS Naden or related to the history and operations of HMCS Naden, HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt, CFB Esquimalt, and the Royal Canadian Navy in and around Victoria and Esquimalt.

Record book titled "Naval Records No. 305" consisting of records of correspondence to and from Esquimalt from 1904 to 1906.

Record book titled "Naval Records No. 305" consisting of records of correspondence to and from Esquimalt from 1903 to 1907.

Esquimalt Naval Establishment Records Part I dating from 21 August 1862 to 30 December 1871. Also includes indexes to parts II and III.

Esquimalt Naval Establishment Records Part II dating from 11 January 1871 to 18 August 1857.

Esquimalt Naval Establishment Records Part III dating from 14 July 1875 to 14 December 1881.

Booklet containing a list of items for new works, buildings, and repairs, proposed to be inserted in the estimates for 1904-1905 for Esquimalt Naval Yard including two pages of estimated costs for the naval yard and the victualling yard.

Folder containing accounts instructions regarding entry, discharge, payment, etc. of workmen at HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt in 1915.

Invitation from Yarrows Limited for the launching of the second caisson being built by them for the new government dry dock in Esquimalt.

Canadian War Museum booklet describing the military history of Canada and a minute sheet that was slipped inside.

Booklet titled "Royal Canadian Navy, Pacific Command, Navy at Esquimalt" dated 17 August 1955.

Report of proceedings in the Department of Naval Service for the week ending 28 November 1919 from Canadian Naval Staff Officer to the Captain Superintendent at HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt.

Map of HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt showing buildings and data on buildings, ca. 1965.

Pamphlet titled "Instructions for the use of the modified Battenburg and examples of the solution of certain standard problems".

Department of Marine & Fisheries contract between His Majesty, The King and Messrs. The Victoria Machinery Depot Company Limited, Victoria BC for two steel single screw cargo steamers of 8,100 T. Deadweight each, dated 29 January 1919.

List of costs for Harbour Marine Company Limited. Cost construction as at 31 January 1921.

Booklets titled "Portage by-laws for the district of Yale and New Westminster established by the Pilotage authority" published in Vancouver by Thomson Bros, 1894.

Booklet titled "Rules and Regulations for the management and working of the graving dock at Esquimalt, BC", published in Ottawa by Queen's Printer, 1890.

Programme for the acceptance ceremony of CNAV Endeavour, 9 March 1965 at Yarrows Limited, Esquimalt.

Booklet titled "Instructions for Running and Care and Maintenance of 'D' Type Engines" dated 4 June 1918.

Deck log book used by HMCS Naden at Esquimalt with entries relating to HMCS Naden, HMCS Ontario, HMCS Stadacona, HMCS Cornwallis, HMCS Cayuga, HMCS Athabascan, HMCS Rockcliffe, HMCS Unicorn, HMCS Sioux, and HMCS Chatham, dating from 4 April to 29 April 1950.

Article titled "Esquimalt Dockyard's First Building" dated 16 October 1946. Appears to have been cut out of a book or magazine.

Boarding officers' packet consisting of a cardboard box containing language cards in 15 languages and an illustrations card.

A 1962 boarding officers' packet consisting of a black leather pouch containing cards to assist visiting officers, specifically "hints for visiting officers", a card of illustrations, and language cards with useful questions and phrases in 25 languages.

Programme and map guide for Armed Forces Day, 1983 held at CFB Esquimalt.

1983 Armed Forces Day sticker.

Programme for the Commissioning Ceremony, Second Canadian Minesweeping Squadron, HMCS Comox and HMCS James Bay at HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt, 3 May 1954.

Blank log book titled "Gunner's Naval Ordnance Torpedo Store Account Expense Book".

Two blank tactical exercise and torpedo practice forms, 1926.

Rough signal log book, N.S.O., Esquimalt dating from August to September 1917.

Officers' victualling, leave, and checkbook.

Inspection of public money record book for the HMCS Rainbow dating to 1918.

Schedules of accounts record book for HMCS Shearwater and Rainbow dating from 1 January 1917 to 1920.

Officers' pay book for HMCS Rainbow dating from 30 April 1918 to 30 April 1920.

R.C.N. gunnery school classes log book dated 1 January 1938.

Bank books dating from 28 August 1919 to May 1920.

Correspondence between the chief accountant of the Department of Naval Services and the commanding officer of HMCS Shearwater and the commander officer of HMCS Rainbow. Also, one deposit notice from the Bank of Montreal to the Paymaster of the Royal Naval College, Esquimalt. Dating from 1919 to 1920.

Book of Royal Canadian Navy navigation charts/maps in the Pacific around Vancouver Island, Alaska, and Hawaii. Stamped by HMC Dockyard, Esquimalt chart depot, 26 November 1964.

Photographs of miscellaneous vessels in Victoria and Esquimalt Harbour dating from 1964 to 1971, photographs of HMCS Oriole in 1970, photographs of CCGS Racer in 1963, photographs of side shell damage and repair on M/V Don Ramon in 1965, close up photographs of a barge hull, and photographs of the log barge Island Yarder at Yarrows Warf in 1965.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

All requests for use must be made through the MMBC Research Request program ( Please note that fees may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

RAD, July 2008 version. Canadian Council of Archives.


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

30 April 2018

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related genres