Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1856 - 1912 (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Scope and content
Fonds consists of service records and personal documents of W.H. Lifton and G.H. Lifton, documents related to the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and programmes and menus from the Royal Naval Artillery Volunteer Force.
1. Certificate of service for W.H. Lifton dated 6 January 1856.
2. Certificate of continuous service for W.H. Lifton beginning 6 January 1866.
3. Certificate awarding naval pension and Greewich Hospital Pension for W.H. Lifton to commence 21 June 1876.
4. Prayer pamphlet with handwritten note in ink on cover that reads “Lifton, H.M.S. Albion, R.N. Crimean War”.
5. Certificate of promotion to Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve for G. H. Lifton, dated 21 June 1917. Also, has a stamp across the top that says Cancelled, 31 December 1918.
6.1. Certificate of discharge for G. H. Lifton dated 15 April 1885.
6.2. Handwritten note on Birkenhead Companies Mersey Division letterhead, consisting of a very brief letter of recommendation for G.H. Lifton dated 3 January 1912.
6.3. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Mersey Division service certificate of G. H. Lifton containing records dating from 1903 to 1912.
7. Typed copy of Order-in-Council authorizing and constituting Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve dated 14 May 1914 in Ottawa.
8.1. Photocopy? of program for display given by the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteers dated 29 January 1914.
8.2. Notice of upcoming seamanship instruction dated 24 March 1914 and signed by G.H. Lofton, Honorably Secretary
9. Pamphlet listing the officers of the Royal navy and of the Royal Marines on the retired, emergency, and reserved lists with the dates of their seniority. Also list of Lieutenants, sub-lieutenants, mates, surgeons, paymasters, and assistant paymasters of the royal naval volunteer reserve and naval establishments of dominion governments.
10. Memorial record for George Henry Lifton who died at the age of 59, 3 October 1923.
11-29. Assorted programmes, menus and cards for the Royal Naval Artillery Volunteer Force dating from 1891 until 1906.
30. Article printed by the Royal Canadian Navy titled “Brief History”.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material